Thursday, October 4, 2007

Update and News

I haven't posted in a few days because I have been quite busy. At the end of last week I rejoined The Diamondback staff as one of two Opinion Editors.

I will continue to pen this blog, and acknowledge my doing so in full disclosure if and when I decide to write opinion columns.

I did so today.

There has been much talk surrounding two recent hate crimes at the University of Maryland - one a noose hung near the university's Nyumburu Cultural Center, and the other a swastika spray-painted on a car outside of a fraternity.

In light of those crimes, my column today questions a fraternity whose brothers denounced "homosexuality" last week in a step show at Nyumburu. It aims to remind people that LGBT people were persecuted by Nazis and their swastikas as well, and that two young men in Iran were just hung with nooses for, many said, being gay.

Click here to check it out.

Also, the Washington Blade reported yesterday on an alleged anti-gay assault at nearby Georgetown University.

To read the Blade's story, click here.

1 comment:

Steve in MD said...

Swastika's - whoever did this should, if found, be kicked out of the university, as well as sued for damages. Yuk

I just noticed that England is passing a hate speech law, as has France, Germany, and I believe other European nations. America isn't "America the Beautiful" when these kind of scoundrels live amongst us.

And if the swastika incident was done because of the car owner being perceived as gay, well just remember that the worst of the homophobes really are people who hate themselves. Why - because deep down inside they realize they have gay tendancies or more. Imbued with religious based self hatred, It is psychology 101 that they reflect out their own self hatred on others, to try to hide who they are.

And if I have ever seen an adult with a 'gay face', it is that Maniac Fred Phelps of Godhatesfags.com. Also that sick pig Ms Coulter. Wouldn't it be fun to sneak a peek into her bedroom window some nites.